Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cakes, Cakes, Cakes



Yum! Who doesn't love cakes? Even if you don't like eating cake (what's wrong with you??? ha ha) they are always a treat to look at.  I love Wayne Thiebaud!  Students always enjoy looking at his sweet treats.  So in an effort to teach the kids about painting: color mixing, tints and shade- I do this delicious cake lesson.

Procedure:
Demo how to draw a 3D cake (cylindrical or cube).  I require the kids to have a background, table and plate.  I ask them to create a pattern either on the table cloth or the wall.  They also have to decorate their cake.  Imagine your favorite birthday cake....

I discuss and show how to mix paints then I let the kids experiment with color mixing.  Most kids don't have many opportunities to mix paints so this might be the first time they are given the freedom to experiment and see the results. 

We paint the background first and do the cake last. 

Here are our DELICIOUS results (some in progress but I just couldn't resist!):


No comments:

Post a Comment