Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Clay Turtle Rattles



These are so adorable!!! So all kids love to do clay projects and I saw this somewhere (although I cannot remember where. Thanks to whoever had this idea!)

Procedure:
I made turtle tracers for the kids out of oaktag and demonstrated for them how to roll out a slab and cut out the turtle shape. The kids then made small beads (about 15) and gently laid them in the center of the turtle. Then we made little pinch pots and slipped and scored them to attach them to the turtle. Finally, the kids used a carving tool and added some kind of pattern to the back of the turtle.

The turtles were then fired in the kiln. The next class the kids glazed them with greens, browns and yellows.

Some of the beads got caught inside the turtle because the kids pressed the beads down or caught them in the attachments.

Overall, they turned out great and the kids love them!

Did I mention we managed to make these in one 40 minute class period??? I have about 125 3rd grade students so it was necessary to complete them in one class period because I do not have enough storage space.



No comments:

Post a Comment