Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Printmaking Zoo Shirts



Every year our first grade classes study habitats and animals.  After all of the studying, they have an opportunity to go to the zoo and see the animals up close in their habitats. 

In the art classroom, we create Zoo Shirts using the printmaking technique of stamping. 

The children love this project and are so excited to create their shirts.  On the day they visit the zoo, they all wear their shirts.


To make the shirts you will need the following materials:
Acrylic paint (or fabric paint-something that is permanent)
Paint brushes (various sizes)
Stamps (home made or purchased)
Styrofoam trays or egg cartons for the paint
Aprons or art shirts to protect clothing
T-shirt forms to put between the shirt and protect the other side




Here is how we make our shirts:

1. I place each shirt on a t-shirt form to help make the printing easier for the students.  If you don't have a t-shirt form use a heavy piece of oak tag, poster-board or cardboard.

2. I demonstrate for the students how to paint the surface of the stamp with the acrylic paint.  We talk about having the right amount of paint on the stamp so that we get a good print.  Too much paint or too little and it won't turn out well.  We agree that a nice even coat of paint with out drips works the best.


3. Next you can actually print the stamp on the shirt.  Find the right spot for your stamp and gently press down on the shirt being careful not to move it.



4. Off to the next stamp and the next colors. Repeat.



5. To stamp the other side of the shirt you will need to allow the first side to dry.  Then you can do it all over again on the other side.

6. Proudly wear your shirt and go visit the zoo!

Please note, if you use acrylic paint or permanent fabric paint you can wash your shirt as normal.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm a parent who was looking for unusual ideas to help my 4 year old with a school zoo project... you just gave me a fabulous idea! :) And made our day :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this when I was a first grader there! I think I still have my shirt actually, I am very happy that the tradition is still going! Thanks so much again for letting me observe you! I hope you don't mind I am going to use a couple of your lessons in my education class to talk about for a homework assignment.

    ReplyDelete